The TG Group regularly takes part in outreach activities.
Smart Materials: Can we make a chemical computer?
This interactive presentation, based on research by group members Samuel Bradberry and Dr Joseph Byrne, takes students on a journey from the beginnings of logic to a demonstration of a real-life chemical computer.
Sam and Joe developed the demonstration for the 200th birthday of the renowned George Boole, as part of Discover Research Dublin 2015. Members of the public learned about logic gates in the Trinity Biomedical Sciences Institute with colour-changing Lanthanide gels, alongside artwork illustrating the life of George Boole by Irish artist Sophie Longwill. (Follow Sophie on Twitter!)
⬇️️ Download: Smart Materials 2017 (PowerPoint presentation, 17 MB)
⬇️️ Download: George Boole and Logic Gates (PDF, 2 MB)
⬇️️ Download: Lanthanides and Soft Materials (PDF, 15 MB)
⬇️️ Download: Molecular Logic Gates (PDF, 15 MB)
Today our first year PhD student Patrick had the great opportunity to take park in the TCD Outreach Symposium, in which he, along with Susie Calvert and Ellen Fay from the McGouran Lab, presented a prospective public outreach demonstration on the “Decomposition of Hydrogen Peroxide using Baker’s Yeast : A Read-Out of Enzymatic Activity”. A special thanks to Dr. John O’Donoghue, Dr. Carl Poree, Dr. Noelle Scully and co. for organising such a great event, and congratulations to all students involved for their amazing presentations!
More Outreach News:
- Inspiring the next generation of STEM June 11, 2020 - Deirdre recently completed a seven week tutorial programme with students in her former secondary school with the Scholars Ireland Programme. While on the programme, she developed and delivered small group tutorials based around smart anticancer agents and light activated chemistry. A recent case study revealed just how impactful this programme was, with one of the […]
- TG group members Shauna and Patrick help represent the school of chemistry at the BT Young Scientist Exhibition January 10, 2020 - As part of the PhD outreach programme Shauna and Patrick were given the opportuinity to work at the TCD stand at the BT Young Scientist Exhibition, at which they demonstrated to the public some of the basics of photochemistry and colorimetry through interactive experiments!
- Thorri, Bruno and Emanuele attending the “Italian Research Day 2019 //Everyday chemistry” April 8, 2019 - Thorri, Bruno and Emanuele will attend the “Italian Research Day 2019” event organized by the Italian Instistute of Culture and sponsored by Darta Savings, giving short talks about how chemistry is important in everyday life. The event, which will take place in the IIC, will be open to the public and will be on […]
- Dermot leads outreach activities with the Royal Society of Chemistry March 20, 2019 - This month, TG group member Dermot Gillen has been bringing the RSC’s Spectroscopy in a Suitcase programme to schools across Dublin in association with the School of Chemistry, TCD. 5th and 6th year chemistry students at St Aidens CBS in Whitehall, Presentation Community College in Terenure and Old Bawn Community School in Tallaght got hands-on experience […]
- Welcome back Isabel! January 7, 2019 - Isabel has returned to the group following a three month internship at Alkermes Biopharmaceutical. During the internship Isabel worked as part of the R&D Formulations department, developing formulations for new oral dose drug substances, which allowed her to get experience in early stage formulation development through to scale-up, as well as investigating the potential for […]